The right oil can hydrate, cleanse, and leave your face glowing.
Unfortunately, your favourite oil could be sabotaging your skin by trapping dirt inside your pores.
These non-comedogenic oils are the perfect solution. You just need to choose the right one for your skin type or most annoying ailment – luckily, we’ve got you covered.
What Are Non-Comedogenic Oils?
TL;DR version: “non-comedogenic” means that oil won’t clog your pores and lead to breakouts.
People tend to associate oils with oily skin. But the truth is applying the right kind of oil can balance your skin’s natural oils – especially when used with other potent essential oils.
Non-comedogenic oils allow your skin to breathe. Comedogenic oils, on the other hand, encourage the growth of comedones (blackheads, whiteheads, and annoying bumps) because they seal pores shut.
Oils are rated on a scale of 0 to 5 based on how likely they are to clog your pores. Anything scoring 0 to 3 is likely safe to use without suffering a breakout. Oils with a ranking of 4 or 5 should be avoided. Everyone’s favourite oil, coconut, scores a 4 on the comedogenic chart – yikes!
7 Noncomedogenic Oils to Choose Based on Skin Type
Plant oils can function on several levels to help cleanse pores, lock in moisture, support healthy sebum production, promote wound healing, and form a protective barrier against the elements. Many oils contain antioxidants like vitamin E to reduce free radical damage and rid your skin of toxins.
Every oil on this list can serve multiple purposes. Jojoba, for instance, is also a great choice for dry or aging skin because it penetrates deep below the surface to lock in moisture.
- Mānuka Oil for All Skin Types: Besides the immense antibacterial benefits of mānuka oil, it also helps lock in moisture to hydrate while not clogging your pores.
- Castor Seed Oil for Acne Scars and Fine Lines: Castor seed oil contains a rare omega-9 called ricinoleic acid which is likely what provides the oil’s skin healing properties.
- Sweet Almond Oil for Inflammation: Sweet almond oil has a nice fatty acid profile and antioxidants, making it perfect for sensitive skin and reducing inflammation.
- Tamanu Oil for Acne-Prone Skin: You probably haven’t heard about this oil, but it’s one of the most potent antibacterial carrier oils – a perfect replacement for your beloved coconut oil.
- Argan Oil for Dry and Aging Skin: Argan oil is particularly great for assisting your skin’s natural healing powers.
- Rosehip Seed Oil for Hyperpigmentation: Its impressive vitamin profile makes rosehip seed oil one of the best natural solutions for evening skin tone.
- Jojoba Oil for Oily Skin: Jojoba penetrates deep into pores to clear out toxins and support the skin’s natural oils.
Give Your Base Oil a Boost
Don’t forget to add pure essential oils to your carrier oil to support your skin. These are some of the best choices:
- Mānuka: Antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and more!
- Frankincense: Anti-aging, moisturising, tissue remodelling.
- Lavender: Calming anti-inflammatory.
- Lemon: Exfoliating.
Now you just need to try a few different non-comedogenic oils and see which one your skin likes best! A handful of our very own Essential Oil Blends already have non-comedogenic oils inside to take advantage of right away!