Have you ever stumbled across words like collagen and skin elasticity, wondering what they might be? Here’s a hint: they’re related to giving you an anti-wrinkle, soft skin!
Skin elasticity and collagen are directly responsible for how youthful your skin appears. Collagen and elastin are proteins in your skin that give your skin the ability to stretch and go back to its original form as soon as it’s released.
However, when your skin starts producing less collagen and/or elastin, fine lines and wrinkles start to form as the skin sags. And that’s exactly why you hear about all these skincare products that “boost collagen and improve skin elasticity!”
What causes a loss of skin elasticity?
Skin elasticity can be caused for a number of reasons. Here are the top 5 reasons why your skin might be losing its elasticity and suffering from a lack of collagen production:
- Stress — High levels of stress can age the human body in many ways. From brain development and usage to stiff muscles and joints, stress can also reflect on your skin by causing fine lines and wrinkles from a loss of elasticity.
- Smoking and drinking — Smoking and drinking are bad for health and everyone knows it. But did you know they age your skin faster than if you abstained?
- Aging — The biggest factor of skin inelasticity is naturally aging up. The older you grow, the more elasticity your skin will lose and you’ll collect those graceful wrinkles!
- Environmental factors — If you live in a polluted region with extreme temperatures and humidity, your skin will show those effects in terms of sagginess.
- Sugar intake — Consuming more sweets and sugary delights has a negative impact on your skin’s elasticity.
- UV exposure — Sun damage is one of the leading causes of skin problems including dark spots, dehydrated skin, and ultimately a loss of collagen production.
5 steps to boost collagen and get anti-wrinkle skin
Now that you know what causes your skin to sag, wrinkle, and look aged, it’s time to give you the 5 secret keys to the best anti-aging skincare routine! These steps are easy to follow and implement, even if you have a busy schedule.
Did you know that UV damage messes with the protein production in the skin, namely elastin, and collagen?
Use a broad-spectrum SPF sunscreen every 4 hours throughout the day to protect your skin from sun damage and harmful UV rays. Even if you sit indoors for most of the day, sunscreen can protect you from the harmful rays emitting from your phones, laptops, and other screens.
Having a Skin Brightening Vitamin C serum is where it's at.
Vitamin C is an active ingredient in many skincare products, known for its ability to hinder protein breakdown and solve many skincare problems in one go.
Here are just a few reasons you should include vitamin C in your skincare practice:
- Reduces fine lines and acts as an anti-wrinkle ingredient,
- Fades sunspots and helps against sun damage,
- Reduces pigmentation and dark spots left behind by pimples,
- Brightens up complexion and dark circles — check out our Restorative eye cream!
One of the best ways to achieve nourished and youthful skin is to hydrate it plenty!
Hyaluronic acid is one of the key ingredients if you want your skin to retain moisture from products. Thanks to this acid, your skin won’t have a problem with wrinkles and fine lines while looking fresh and bright.
Our Dream Cream Duo features hyaluronic acid and is a star at restoring the skin’s elasticity levels to give you healthy skin. The Firming Moisturizer Day Cream acts as a nourishing moisturizer, leaving your skin hydrated to the core.
In recent years, retinol has become a go-to ingredient for anyone aged 25 and up. This magic product is famous for boosting collagen and elastin production which results in reduced fine lines and wrinkles.
Retinol does this by accelerating the skin’s natural turnover cycle which makes your skin appear more plump and youthful. Scientifically formulated to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, our Restorative Trio will hydrate, moisturise, and help you achieve a restorative skincare routine!
If you’re searching for the perfect skin oil to give you an anti-aging effect, topical collagen is going to be your best friend. Search for a combo of active ingredients such as mānuka oil and rosehip oil to hinder collagen breakdown of your skin, resulting in elastic, youthful skin!